BREAD OF LIFE

BREAD OF LIFE
 this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. (john 6: 50)
I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood; you have no life in you. (John 6: 53)

Saturday, April 2, 2011

I BELIEVE

I believe that on the night before His Death on the Cross Our Lord Jesus Christ instituted the Holy Eucharist, when at the Last Supper He changed bread and wine into His Body and Blood, which He offered to His Father for the salvation of all mankind and gave to His disciples to be their Food and Drink.

I believe that Jesus at the Last Supper began the Perfect Sacrifice of His Body and Blood, which He completed for our salvation on the Cross, and now daily renews on our altars in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, of which He is both the Victim and the Principal Offerer.

I believe that Christ having died upon the Cross dies now no more, but that His Holy Death is mystically perpetuated in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in a most wondrous manner, and is continually offered to God for the salvation of all mankind.

I believe that the Holy Eucharist is both a Sacrifice and a Sacrament, and that as a Sacrament, which we lovingly call the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar, the Holy Eucharist is truly the Bread of Life and the Cup of Eternal Salvation, and that in this Holy Sacrament there is truly contained wholly and substantially the Body and Blood of Christ, together with His Soul and Divinity co-joined.

I believe that Jesus continues to remain, veiled beneath the appearance of the Sacred Forms of Bread and Wine after the Holy Sacrifice is over, for our Spiritual Food and Drink, for our need and that of the sick to whom He is brought.

I believe that in receiving Christ in Holy Communion, He is not changed into us, but we are changed into Him.

I believe that at the Last Supper Christ Our Lord gave the Apostles the exalted power to be His Ministers in offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and that through them the same power is transmitted perpetually to the bishops and priests of the Church.

I believe that in the Holy Liturgy of the Mass, just as at the Last Supper, Christ effects a complete change in the bread and wine, so that although the forms of bread and wine remain, the whole substance of these elements is changed into His Body and Blood.

I believe that the Holy Eucharist has been given to us by Christ to be the bond of love between God and Man, and Man with his Fellowman.

I believe, 0 Lord, Strengthen My Faith.